Here’s a super-simple, superfood recipe to rub up against your sweet tooth. The antioxidant-rich raw cacao and protein-rich almonds will actually leave you feeling happily satisfied after one or two, and not having to reach for more.
Meanwhile, you can’t beat the ease of just throwing things into a blender and whizzing it all into a simple, delicious treat that will store in the fridge for days.
This recipe differs from my past “protein ball” recipes, such as the Choc Coco Almond Balls or the Hemp Cacao & Maca Superfood Amazeballs, as it uses minimal ingredients and I’ve used raw cacao nibs rather than powder, which creates a really nice crunch.
It is so simple in fact, you can use this as a base to add other flavors as you wish, such as dried banana, vanilla powder, lemon rind, etc. That’s the beauty of these balls – it’s hard to go wrong. Just throw it all in the blender and see what happens!
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 6-8 pitted dates
- 2-3 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Be sure your dates are pitted! If not, your first task is to remove the pits from your dates. They are some seriously STRONG and LOUD pits when they accidentally make their way into the blender. I learned the hard way. You also don’t want to run the risk of breaking a tooth biting into a broken pit.
- Place all the ingredients into a strong blender or food processor and pulse until everything is broken down into a chunky mixture.
- Using a teaspoon, heap out a large spoonful of mix and roll it into a ball with your hands. Place on a plate.
- Continue spooning out the mixture until all of it has been divided into balls.
- Place the plate of balls in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes to set.
Makes approximately 8-10 balls when rolled into the size pictured. Double the recipe for more.